Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Not quiet how I planned it..

So, people tend to think that my sweet boy is a little smarter then he actually is. I do not usually correct them or explain..hey, if you want to think he is "advanced", go ahead!! But, I am pretty sure he is just normal. The reason for his super smarts??? Well, I think with a lot of kids, if you ask them something they do not know the answer to, they will say "huh" or "what" or "i don't know" or just give a blank stare..not my sweet boy. "YES" is his go to word when he has no clue what your asking.. For example..Do you know what today is...YES....Are you hungry...YES...Are you ready for a nap...YES. You see the trend right. I will give him credit though. He is extremely verbal and I really cannot think of a time we have not been able to communicate and figure out what he wants..the kid can talk!! Not to underestimate his smarts though.....
We were at small groups about a month ago and this topic came up..so what does any good mom do....throw my kid under the bus. Someone commented on how smart he was and I explained that while he was smart, he may not be as smart as they thought he was. I went on to explain our "Yes" man.
After small groups we were outside and Charlie picked up an acorn and I asked "Do you know who eats acorns" and he of course says "Yes". I turned to Cameron, who I think mentioned his smarts and said "See, that is what I am talking about". Right on que Charlie says "A squirrel does Mommy"....now who looks not so smart!!
All that to say...Sat night was not quite what I had planned. What I had planned was a family birthday night for Bradley's twin sisters....what we had was 2 hrs spent in urgent care. While I am grateful that my child was not one of the many sick kids in there, I'd rather been at family dinner!
We had got out some more child proofing stuff on Sat and were planning on getting it put up. Charlie did not really need it, but just for the next one and if any kids came over. Charlie apparently was fascinated with it all and needed to play with it...or put some of the screws in his mouth...nice. So when Bradley told him to spit them out, Charlie made a dramatic swallow. So, Bradley brings him to me to show me/talk to me. So I ask "Charlie did you swallow the screw"...any guesses to his answer...YES. I ask him 10 different questions 20 different ways and to each he said...YES. I called the nurse on call who looked up the "ingestion of sharp objects protocol" and informed me to head to the ER and get it checked out....really, a whole protocol for it..made me feel better that I was not the only one out there!! A quick visit to Cooks Urgent Care center and an expensive X-Ray later reveled that NO, in fact he did not swallow a screw...nice!
He was more then happy to watch Alvin and the Chipmunks..he'd just rather not watch it from his bed..


sitting on his bottom was not a high priority also..at least if he fell and cracked his head we were in the right place..

After 2 hours of sitting and 2 hours of being told no to food and drink..he.was.over.it..and I feel sorry for the people next to us who had to listen to our constant disciplining/spanking/compromising and finally defeat. When I found out that even if he did swallow on they would do nothing (then why am I here again????) I caved and he had some of my water and some tic-tacs...nothing like being firm, right!

Bradley trying not to laugh at Charlie and his ridiculous tantrum!

wiping the tears away..from being told "no" to more tic-tacs!!

2 comments:

Jodi said...

Oh my word. Because that is resolved, he is ok, and it was not my child.... I was CRACKING up! :) Hope you're laughing about it now, too! :)

Brenda said...

The JOYS of having little boys, maybe he will grow up to be an hands-on problem solver like his daddy (see squirrel post) and get to work with all those neat tools and screws! Love the pictures of those two, those looks say SO much. He is VERY verbal... reminds me of you at two. Love you all.