Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Our Monday visit..

On Monday we headed out to Abilene for a visit with the bio's (thanks Amber for the shortened name..biological parents=bio's). I always get anxious before visits, but this time I never really got nervous...I am making progress!! I suggested we meet at a park and that was a good plan for Charlie...especially since he refused his morning nap on the drive down there! When we got there.. 18 people were waiting, which meant I won the bet with Bradley. I guessed 16 people would be there and he thought I way overshot..boys! So, with 18 eyes on you, he was naturally a bit shy at first. But it did not take long to realize it was "all about him" and we was "on"!!

It was a joint visit with both bio's and it was nice that we could all get together and it was not to weird! All the grandparents were super nice and appreciative and all said what a great job we were doing and that they respected us for bring him for visits...and understood it was overwhelming! Honestly, bringing him for visits has nothing to do with us..a lot of people will tell us "how nice we are" for taking him to visit them. We are doing what we feel is best for our son..and that is no different then anyone else....when it comes down to it, we all want to do what is best for our kids. Having Charlie see the bios and all their families and all the love that is there for him is what is best for him so we will continue to do that for him.

I was trying to get Charlie ready for the visit since this would be the first one where he understood a little more. Every night we pray for his bio's, so I said "You remember how we pray for M and C every night" he calls them by their names though:) . I told him we were gonna visit them and reminded him how he grew in C's tummy, and that she was to young to be his mommy so she chose us to be his mommy and daddy. He looked up at me like Yeah, I got this..we cover it all the time! Who knows how much he is taking in, but he sure has been told all about it!!

I think I managed to get about 75 pictures today..I wont subject you to all of them!! For the first time ever I found myself wanting to take a picture of him with everyone there..yes, even that sister..who was great today. I am finally making this a little less about me and wanting it to be all about him..and him having tons of pictures from today seems like a good thing..so I snapped away...and enjoyed it,..who knew!

When he hangs like this, his needs a shirt that says" I am way to cool"


Yes, all those people were there for him...and he knew it and worked the crowd!!

There were a minimum of 17 cameras on him at any given time!

Playing with M!

C and Charlie..talked to C today and learned that Charlie can thank her for the food and other allergies!! I just found out that she is allergic to peanuts too!! These little tid bits are so helpful and useful..like being able to tell the Dr that his bio's are allergic to certain vaccinations..helpful!


Seriously Charlie..everyone is looking but him! Can you tell he was playing hard..he ran full on from 11:30 till 2:45...I think I heard about 320 times "He will sleep great on the way home"...

M and Charlie

I took this one and think it turned out pretty cool!! That's C and her mom, sisters, nephew and Charlie.
To bribe him for pictures I offered Cheetos...which he never knew existed until Caddo..thanks Janet!!! As soon as we got in the car he was begging for them. I gave him that and his drink and waited for silence to come..and waited..and waited..and I gave up on that as I pulled into the driveway 2 hours later. It's now almost 7 and he is in the bath and getting ready for bed...with no nap under his belt for the day. In some people's world that means a awesome night sleep..not in ours..

7 comments:

Jodi said...

Not an awesome night sleep in our house either! Man, I TOTALLY understand that kind of a day, and I hope the night went well!!

You both are such fabulous parents. I am not sure I could muster up the great attitude you have about the bios, but it is great and I am so glad you are able to do that emotionally.

On to the important stuff.... seriously, he is SO FREAKIN CUTE! Loved the park pics. And loved the story about him "repeating" what those kids said. Too funny!

Abbe said...

I don't care what you say it is awesome that you guys work so hard to help Charlie know who his bios (very fun abbreviation, Linde would be proud) are and that they get to see him. Not many of us have to work that hard to do what's best for our kiddos. Charlie has the best parents!

LucieP said...

I am so emotional reading this....

And yes I'm a stranger! lol

but I have been reading your blog here and there since last Fall and I am in awe!

It takes special people to adopt as well as put their child up for adoption.

I am amazed by you two!

Tracy said...

Not that "my" opinion matters...but I'm gonna give it to you anyways! :) I think you and Bradley are doing an amazing job with Charlie! Kuddos to yall for being totally open and honest with him from the start...and I totally agree with what you said in your post. We all want what's best for our children! So I admire you doing what is best for Charlie no matter what the situation is!

CUTE pics btw! He is sooo cute!!!!!

Allene said...

So very proud of you and Bradley! You seem to naturally know what to do in circumstances that no one else can advise in. That is how I know you are both relying on your Lord, by the power of prayer. There is not a day goes by that you are not included in our prayers as well.

Miss you all, thanks for filling our hearts while we are away.

Love from Paris

Brenda said...

Wow, my heart is bustin with pride, the good kind, right now. I'm so proud of both of you and the dedication and love you feel for your child. The desire that you possess to do WHATEVER it takes to give him the best possible life... it overwhelms me! Charlie is one very blessed little boy. And I agree with Allene, you both instinctively know how to handle things that I never even considered. You both amaze me and yes I know I've said that about you many times Amie - this time it is a good amazement!!! Just kidding, love you.

Alicia said...

You guys are so amazing.. I don't know how you do that! Well, I do.. you put Charlie first and that's all that matters. :) I am not going to lie, it was really hard seeing him with them in those pics. I got a very "over protective" feeling... I don't know how yall do it!! Oh, and you can blame the Cheeto's on me. I told her to get them for the kiddos!