Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Cereal:)

I don't know why, but the conversation "when did you start your baby on cereal" can be touchy..so, if you answer before 4 months..be prepared to be judged!! I tried to wait and follow the rules with Charlie, but at 3 months and 3 weeks, he got cereal. I had just made an 11oz bottle and decided that was ridiculous and cereal started that day and he CHOWED down! Well, I tried Easton at 3 1/2 months..chowed down was not the word that came to my mind! He was clueless and uninterested!
Here is the things though, before you judge me for starting early...kid has been on cereal since he was 6 weeks old. We are using it as a thickener for he feeds..per the GI specialist recommendations. I tried to stop it at like 8 weeks because the rice was constantly clogging the nipple, but after loosing 2 full 5oz bottles, all over me, I managed to perfect the rice cereal/formula/nipple size concoction! So, for all of you out there that say "No" to cereal early, just know that we use rice cereal as a thickener on babies/preemies at work quite often..they even sell it already added for you..Enfamil AR (ar is added rice)..for those reflux-ey babies like mine!
After 3 or 4 attempts at cereal he is now loving it and it seems to help his spitting.. I was hoping that the carb-ey/starchy cereal would soak up some stomach acid and maybe help keep his food down..and it seems that it has greatly helped!!..and I also increased his meds too..so that may also be helping!!!!!proof he does not always smile!!
Between the smiles and raspberries he makes..it is sometimes hard to get his food in!

1 comments:

Jodi said...

He is too big. Tell him I said to stop growing right this instant. But he's WAY cute!!! :) Glad things are working out in the eating dept!