EB=Embryo Baby...we will keep it short for easier typing!!
So..we have headed into this EB already..let me address a few things first. It took us close to 2 1/2 years of trying before we added Charlie to our family. So when thinking of baby#2..we would like to start earlier in case it takes awhile again. We have more knowledge this time around so hopefully it wont be another 2 1/2 years before baby #2, but in case it does, we would like to get started. If it works the first time around great..they would be 20ish months apart..give or take 2 months. Some may think that is to close in age..and for some it may be, but if God allows it to work out like that then Bradley and I will be super excited.
We have chosen EB for our 2nd child for a few reasons. After my second IVF(invirto fertilization) we learned that for some reason my eggs had aged faster then the rest of me. Under a microscope my eggs look similar to those of a 40 yr old. I was 25 when I started trying to get pregnant..and at that time it was too late. I am as capable as any 40yr old out there to get pregnant..but we all know how hard that is. Before you all tell me of that one person that you know that was 40 and done with kids and gets pregnant, let me share some more!! My second IVF resulted in a pregnancy that last 8 1/2 weeks. After my d/c, the results showed my baby to be Trisomy 8..a condition that in MY baby's case was incompatible with life..not all Trisomy 8's are, but mines was. This further confirmed what my Dr had already shared. My bad eggs will almost always not "work" because they are "old", but when they do I am at a very high risk for a baby with syndromes or other problems. So after that miscarriage, that information helped me be at peace with having no "biological" children of my own.
Now that I have one adopted child I would like to have all my children be adopted. Lets face it..I don't exactly have a fantastic gene pool to pass onto my kids anyway!! If they are all adopted no one can toss out "I am the REAL child"!!..but I am sure at some point someone will toss out.."Ha..I grew in her belly, beat that!!"
Anyway, if I had my way I would adopt all my children that same way I did with Charlie. Minus that one heinous day in Abilene..I love the whole process and would love to do it again. Unfortunately, Charlie's adoption cost us close to $30,000. After spending close to $30,000 on IVF...the cheapest route helped us make our decision this time!
Let me breakdown the cost for you..and these are the recent facts I have been quoted by the Dr I go to...other places might be different..
IVF=$15,000ish..not really option due to my eggs
Adoption(domestically)=$30,000. The discount the 2nd time around it like $1,000
Egg Donation(donor egg mixed with my husband)=$12,000
Embryo Adoption=$5,000
So..any questions!! Embryo adoption..for clarification..is the adoption of 2 embryos from a couple that has gone through IVF and gotten pregnant and wants no more children and had chosen to "adopt" them out as opposed to discarding them. So this child..assuming the procedure works..will be carried in my tummy for hopefully 9 months..but have neither mine or Bradley's genes, DNA or genetic make-up.This is all confusing..I know! And no, we don't meet or even see pictures of people who we adopt the embryo from...just lots of info sheets on them.
When we made our decision, a large part for the embryo adoption was for me to be pregnant...let me stop you there. I mean this with no disrespect..I actually have no desire to get pregnant. Three years ago I got so wrapped up in "I must get pregnant", that for some time I think I lost sight of my actual goal...eventually I remembered the actual goal and that thought turned into.."I just want to be a mom". Pregnancy is not my goal, being a mom again is. I have learned that there are HUGE perks to mommy-hood minus pregnancy!! There is also a downside. Not giving birth means no paid maternity for me. My work only pays 6 weeks(they use short term disability for maternity leave) and then you can take up to 6 months by using your vacation time. I had 2 weeks notice when we got Charlie..so I took a 4 month unpaid leave. Even though I have been paying into short term disability for 3 years..since I did not give birth I did not get to use it..nice. I will also have the option to breastfeed..which will save a ton of money if the next child eats like Charlie did!!! There are more, but this post is getting way to long!!
I was going to update where we were but I will do that in a day or so..like I said this is way to long..especially when I have no pictures to include!!

13 comments:
Sounds great!! :) I bet thinking of baby number two is very exciting :)
I respect every decision yall make. I know you may not feel this way, but just know that you don't need to explain to anyone "why" you and Bradley make the decisions that you make. It is your choice...and this is your family...there is no "wrong" decision here :)
I do think that it will be neat to be pregnant though :) ...and it's cheaper all around so that is a bonus! Good luck! I will be reading and following journey #2!
Thanks!! We are always getting comments, advice and peoples opinion..a lot of them repeats. So I tried to cover all the usual questions, comments and complaints..nip it now before the questions roll!!
I've heard of this...Snowflake adoption!! You get to give birth to your adopted baby!! How cool is that? If you feel the desire to keep us posted with the details, I would love to know so that I can be praying for our specific needs. Right now I just pray for a good gene pool and an accepting uterus!!
Hi there - How exciting for you! I can remember when I was cycling!! There are lots of resources out there. There's a really great organization called Miracles Waiting: http://www.miracleswaiting.org/ It's place where those who want to donate their left over embryos can, and those who want to receive left over embryos can.
In regards to embryo donation and embryo adoption you should not be paying for anything other than your own transfer, a legal contract, and sometimes the storage fee's of the donating parents. If you are paying an agency or an organization money to receive embryos you could be ripped off.
I am the founder of Parents Via Egg Donation. (www.parentsviaeggdonation.org) This is a non-profit organization that was created to provide an informational and supportive environment where parents and parents-to-be can come together to exchange information about all facets of the egg donation process with respect to growing their families.
There's also a really great support list called MVED: (Mothers and their Partners Via Egg Donation) Which can be found here:
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/MVED/
Please let me know how I can support you in this process. You are on your way to the most rewarding and incredible journey ever! Just think a new sibling for your baby!
Take care! - Marna
I have a detailed print out of what I am paying for and there is no agency fee..just the usual sonograms, blood work, thawing of embryos, putting them in..etc. I am lucky to have a great Dr and be at a clinic that's "one of the best" that's offered in terms of Reproductive Endocrinologists. Thanks for your info!
Sweet!! Can't wait for all this to begin... should be exciting! :) I'll ask more questions later, not on blogger. :)
Amie,
I'm good friends with Amber and Aric (from GA)...Amber sent me to your blog the day Charlie was born and I've been hooked ever since :-) He is adorable! I will be keeping you in my prayers as you start this journey. I think this is a really great way to keep your family growing!!
Wow! You don't really know me, but I have met you a couple of times. I'm Daniel Rawls' wife. Daniel and I concieved our daughter through IVF after trying for 3 years to get pregant. Lucky for us, it worked the first time. I will be thinking about you and you will be in my prayers.
thank you for sharing all that. that is amazing!
i love your charlie story and can't wait to read all about the unfolding of baby 2's story.
you guys are such sweet parents and i am excited for you as you anticipate your family growing.
praying!
Thanks so much for sharing. I am so excited for you guys to start this journey. I'm praying for you guys.
Wow how exciting! I will be including you guys in our prayers!
What an awesome thing to do. I look forward to following this journey with you. I think it's an amazing gift the donors are willing to give. We'll be praying for you, and them too!
Wow, I'm so excited for you and Bradley, and for Charlie's soon-to-be little baby brother or sister. Hopefully this will go easier and smoother for you; but if not; you seem to be a toughie and you have such a great support system; you are blessed and He's always there when we need HIM.
Goodluck! And Charlie is so handsome and adorable as always....
~M.Berg
Post a Comment