Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Our first birthmom

So, I have been meaning to and wanting to do this post for a while. I know it will take effort and my energy to get it right and do it justice so I have been putting it off...I know, sounds really lazy huh!
So, I think for some time I may have misrepresented Bradley and myself..we love our birth parents...not ours, Charlies! WE LOVE THEM!! I know there were moments we were frustrated and mad and plenty of overwhelmed moments, but we love them. In talking to a lot of people about adoption the second time around we have heard a lot of people tell us "Maybe you get lucky and they will give you the baby and be gone"..if you have said this to us, we are not mad!! But, that is 100% NOT what we want!

We want all our children to have the same opportunities..you know how I like to keep things equal! If one has involved birthparents we want the same for the other..etc. Everything I have read, know and believe to be true says that Charlie will be a better person because he knows C and M (birthparents). These are good people who come from good people..theses are people who know and love God...people who loved Charlie enough to want more for him then they could give him. I recently sent the BP (birthparents) an email and told them that as we were getting into the adoption stuff again we would be thrilled if our next BP were half as great as them. We do not only love them because they gave us Charlie, we love them because of who they are and the many good decisions they have made. C got prenatal care from 8 weeks on, no drugs, no alcohol, involved family, etc...C and M gave Charlie up for a better life for him and that is not the "cool or the in-thing" to do now. We were told that we would more then likely not get a teen mom this time around because teen pregnancy is so socially accepted that teens are not giving up their babies..so BIG props to C and M for being more mature then most their age.

So, I have always appreciated C and M, but now that we are actually doing all this again..I am really appreciating them.

I'll explain..here is our adoption timeline for this time around...this is one of those things that will be nice to have down on paper, but may not interest you!

10/20/08-request via email to adopt again with same agency
11/01/08-began to fill out paperwork & it still took us a month to get it all together the 2nd time around
12/01/08-approved for a reduced fee this time around
12/06/08-Mail in the 2.5lb paperwork to start this process again!
01/07/09-Fingerprint error caused a slight hold up..error was by me!
02/09/09-Mailed in the last stuff..stuff needed to be approved, but not needed to do the homestudy.
02/12/09-Homestudy. It was a shortened version since we had done this before with them!
02/16/09-Told via email we were ready to show to birthmoms..no official letter this time around!
03/02/09-We were chosen by a birthmom.
03/03/09-Bradley and I declined a match with this birthmom.
04/02/09-Found our that the birthmom we did not go with, did get a family!

When we got that call that we got picked in March..that was when we realized how lucky we were with C and M. On paper they were perfect, we realize now that what we have with them is rare. We always known that God blessed us with them and only now are we able to appreciate it on another level. The birthmom we were presented was a good person, just was not a good match for us. And I can tell myself that till I am blue in the face but it still hurts..you never want to turn away a baby...or a birthmom. I was happy to see that some other family got to get their baby though! So, after we have been through that experience I just feel even more ready for the next one...I know God uses these little things along the way to prepare us for "the one"!!!

All this said..I love C..I love M..and we are more then lucky and blessed to have them in our lives. My specific prayer..one of them..is that we are able to bond and connect with our next birthmom...our ability to connect with her trumps race, gender, social background, drugs, etc. I am also aware that things like drugs and alcohol use may affect our ability to connect, but sometimes they wont. But our relationship with her is highest on our priority list. We want a life long relationship with her and we are anxiously awaiting the birthmom that God brings our way!
..and just so you all know I am normal, I am trusting God, but that does not mean I am not MORE then ready to have another baby!!!! I only check my phone..20 times a day..to see if I missed a call from the agency! I can only imagine what it's like when you have waited 6 months, 12 months, 18 months or 2 years....2 months and I am a little anxious!

5 comments:

Jodi said...

Your faith is astounding. You guys have an unusually great relationship with C and M because you guys are unusually great ADOPTIVE parents (not just because they are unusually great birth parents)!!! I absolutely CAN. NOT. WAIT. until I log in and check your blog to see that "Holy-Crap-We-Are-Gonna-Be-Parents-Again-YIPPEE!!" blog title! I check daily.... can't wait.

LOVE Y'ALL and praying like crazy!

Brenda said...

I echo Jodi's thoughts, I too am amazed by your faith and trust that God will provide. Again, I learn so much from watching you and Bradley. I think about C and M a lot, not as Charlie's parents, but as part of God's plan and how thankful I am that they allowed themselves to be used to work HIS awesome plans out in your lives... plans to prosper you, to give you a good future... Jer 29:10 That kind of trust is always rewarded... in his time... in his way. But the older I get, I'm discovering HIS (as opposed to my obsessive planning)ways are always the best. You know you have our prayers! I love you!

Allene said...

Trusting God comes easier when you have seen how faithful He has been in the past. You and Bradley have matured quickly in your spiritual walk as your have had to trust God for so many years for a child to hold in your arms.

Several months ago Danny and I were speaking about how perfect God is in His timing, in His selection, in His planning for Charlie's future with you. We shared our thankfulness to share our grandparenthood. Not just are Danny & Brenda our dear friends, we share the privilege of sharing a grandchild. Then we ended with the thought of where would Charlie be right now if C & M chose to raise him somehow.

By then our eyes were bursting with tears and our hearts were swelling with love for this grandchild. We turned around and Joe D. was standing there and asked me "What did you say to Danny to make him cry?!?!"

We know God has a very special child already planned for you. It is going to be better than the BEST birthday gift you have ever received, just you wait and see.

We love you and pray for your future family.

"Trust in God with ALL you heart. Lean not on your own understanding. In ALL your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight."
Proverbs 3:5-6

annalee said...

your adoption story with charlie brings tears to my eyes each time you talk about it. i am waiting eagerly alongside you as you find out more about the future too!

Crystal said...

I am so glad that gthe next adoption is in the works..I will keep you faithfully in my prayers! Miss you...Crystal