Sunday, April 19, 2009

March of Dimes

I was lucky enough to get to participate in the March of Dimes walk this year. I am a bit embarrassed, as a NICU nurse, that it is my first time to walk. Count me in again for next year..just maybe at the Dallas location! My friend Abbe made the trek to Ft. Worth to walk this year and it was not the most..stellar location for a walk..a bit narrow in places..leading to lots of stopping:( Oh well, it was a great day with my work friends outside of work!

Not everyone is lucky enough to love their job.. I LOVE my job. Always have and I %100 recognize how stinkin lucky I am. I get to save lives and even though some of you call me at work and ask what I am doing and I reply "saving lives" as I put my book down or log off the Internet....I do get to save lives and be a part of these families lives at one of the most difficult times in their lives. Working as a nurse is a thankless job...in 99% of the hospital. I get thanked every day by these parents and I reap the benefits of our hard work, when after 130 days we get to send a baby home that was told more then once would not live. Not every day is roses and not everyday we send babies home to their families. My job has it's rough days, but 90% of my job is wonderful and uplifting. I work with a Dr that I respect and enjoy andI think he is a genius as a Neonatologist...find me 5 nurses that will tell you that about a Dr they work with!!! I work with some of my best friends..one who has been a best friend long before this hospital...I AM LUCKY... this I know.

One of my favorite all time NICU stories was about a set of 23 week twins. Depending on the hospital your at 23 weeks is barely viable...these babies came to us and fought for their lives for a few days or weeks before they were headed in the right direction. Over that time we knew these were the kind of parents you were lucky to have and I don't think anyone did not LOVE them. One of the girls was well over a month old before her parents ever got to hold her ..she was still on the ventilator so it was a bit of an effort to get her to her mom, who was waiting in a recliner. As soon as the baby was in her moms arms the dad got down on his knees and grabbed moms hand and began to pray..thanking God for his blessings and miracles..not a dry eye in the room! Those girls are in Kindergarten now and it is by grace of The Great Physician that they are just like any other Kindergartners..even without the preemie head!!

To be a part of those moments in strangers lives..strangers who become like friends sometimes..is a true joy. So, with all that, I encourage anyone else who wants too.. join me next year in the March of Dimes walk!!


Melanie, Claire, Me, Charlie, Abbe and Avery before the race!We were impressed that they were all looking the same direction!

At the end of the race..the time was 1 hour and 14 min which is crap..but what do you do when there is lots of standing and minimal movement!

Avery chillin..love how he props his leg up..he did this the whole time! Cracked me up every time I saw it!

Can we say cheese face!

Miss Claire chillin..this was before she ate played with her sticker!!

4 comments:

Brenda said...

I remember you telling me this emotional story while Dad and I were in Maui... I was crying walking along the beach.. I'm sure people were wondering what terrible news I was getting. Hearing it again was just as powerful! It is faith-building to hear his first response was one of thankfulness. I can't believe they are in Kindergarten now. How very blessed you are to work at such a rewarding job AND to love going to work. Not many people can say that. Very cute pictures - love the traditions Charlie will grow up with.

annalee said...

this post has touched my heart. i know your co-workers are blessed and thankful to work with you too!

Jodi said...

I can't see my computer screen right now because I am crying. We didn't have to deal with NICU that long, considering, but I have to say that I thought about you everyday. I know how much it meant to us to have fabulous nurses, and then I would think of how blessed the parents are that get to have YOU everyday! So, as a mom and as your friend, THANK YOU for the job you do so well and worked so hard for. You change lives, and you are Jesus to them everyday.

Jodi said...

Ok now I can see..... great pics too!