Charlie is 1 year old!!!!
One year ago today at 1am my little boy was born!!
Charlie had a rough start and came out with the cord wrapped around his neck. It was so bad they cut it when just his head was out..still down there!!! He got to spend some time in their version of NICU....so typical!! The plan was for me to be in the room with Cady, but she got NO epidural so that plan was nixed and it was just her mom and sister's. It really was okay with me. I have been in on many delivers and even thought it was my son being born..the awkwardness of the whole situation..her half naked..me there....Let's just say I was MORE then happy to sit with Bradley in the waiting room! We sat out there and met..for the first time..her Dad, his now wife, Grandparents, and an Aunt. It was a little nerve wracking, but they very quickly hugged us and told us they believe that this little baby was meant to be with us.
We got the call on Sat night at like 9pm. We had just come in from a dinner of Sushi and Ice cream..my fav!! We had just put on a movie and my cell rang. I turned to Bradley and said" It's Cady telling us she is in labor"...TOTALLY kidding!! Well, it was (this was a week earlier then her due date) and she told us that she had been in and out of triage that day and they finally admitted her. Since I was not actually pregnant it never occurred to me to pack a bag. We packed for all 3 and hit the road. I think we got out at 9:30 and got there at midnight....no more driving like I was in college..we followed the speed limit!
We got there at midnight and had told no one. I did not want to get every ones hopes up and then her not deliver. Her changing her mind never crossed mine. We only waited an hour and about 3-5 min after he was born her sister came to the waiting room and announced all the info and said Cady wanted me to go back. I felt good that she wanted me to go first, but felt a little sad for Bradley. Although, I knew he felt more comfortable in the waiting room!!
Minus the awkwardness of walking into the room when Cady was being sewn up, the moment was surreal. As I went towards his bed and thought..Is he cute?? I have no shame!! Actually on my way to his warmer I was thinking "This time I am going to see MY baby, not just A baby". I kept repeating it in my head to make it a little more real. By about the 5th time I repeated it my eyes were getting watery so I had to stop repeating to keep it together. When I got there I tried very hard to be "mom" not nurse, but dude, he was PALE. I could tell he was grunting, flaring and breathing to fast and he was PALE.. The nurse started talking to me and my favorite sister chimes in "Don't you know all this since your an NICU nurse". Thanks...as a nurse, I don't want other medical people to know I am one..then they get all rude and hoity (sp). Anyway, this one was a nice one cause she goes "So, you understand why he is going to our NICU". Yup..take him NOW..have I mentioned he was PALE!! I felt really great that I was the first one to hold him and I have always appreciated Cady doing that. Not so I could say "I got to hold him first", but because it helped further give me peace that she was still on board and would not change her mind.
I went back out to see Bradley and then we waited until 3am to be able to go back to the NICU so Bradley could see him. It was so nice cause it was just us and him. It was then that we checked him over and counted fingers and toes and looked at his great mountain peak lips. We were tired, but I kept tyring to stay a little longer!! Bradley finally informed me that we had no place to sleep so we better get to looking for a place to stay the next few days.
When we got to the parking lot we called our parents...I of course begin mine with "Everything is fine"..cause you know how I/Mom worry. Dad answered and I told him " Everything is fine. We are in Abilene and Charlie is here!! We made it in time for his delivery". I knew they needed to know that we were there for the birth. All 4 of our parents..well all our family..wanted this to be as much like a "normal" delivery..they wanted us to experience as much as possible. And there are actually very few things I would change about my time in Abilene. I was perfectly happy....more then happy with how that night went.
We got into our room and crawled into bed at 4ish and I prayed for a long time. Telling God thank you for his safe delivery, and thank you for the peace he had given me that she would not change her mind. I thanked him that he chose Bradley to be on this adventure with me and that he gave us families that already loved Charlie as if he was just born from me. I asked for peace for the next few days and I asked him to always let the joy I felt that night be remembered. As crazy as life was gonna get, I asked he never let me get caught up in the non-important things and forget this moment and the joy I had inside. I think I cried some more(surprise) and finally fell asleep. It was by far the best day of mine and Bradley's life.
These are some from his first 2 days of life in Abilene. And then one from when we got home..there were sooo many to chose from in that first day we were home..but I have always loved that picture.




1 month old
Close to a month..I think! This may be my all time favorite picture of him!

2 months old..ish
3 months
4 months
5 months

6 months




7 month


8 months

9 months



10 months

11 months

7 comments:
Oh my goodness!!! I can't believe that Charlie is already a year old! My, how the time flys! I miss you so much, and can't wait to come home and spend some time with you guys! Your sweet story made me cry, AGAIN, just like I did when you called me and told me you had a son! I miss you, sweet friend, and can't wait to see you!
God knew you and Bradley would be the very best parents for Charlie from before he was conceived. Have faith that your next child will happen the same way.
GOD KNOWS!!
TRUST IN HIS TIMING!!!
I must say Amie, no one tells a better blog story than you. Charlie will know all the details of his life in years to come.
A.B.C. you are a beautiful family. God Bless You on this day, the day Charlie was born.
Mutti loves you, & God loves you
Loved your post. I teared up again with your wonderful story. I can't believe that year went by so fast. What a sweet family you three are. Thanks so much for sharing.
Happy Birthday Charlie! It seems crazy that all this was a year ago.. I can remember every detail and phone call just like it was yesterday.
What a handsome little boy he has grown into!!! Love that post... reading it gave me chill bumps!
Happy B-day Charlie!!
Oh, how I love that Charlie Walker Way. Happy birthday, sweet precious handsome little man!
Shed a few little tears myself reading that... I too remember each and every detail and phone call and MANY prayers of that day (and the next few!). Always will.
Every time I see or say his name, it reminds me of so much. CHARLIE... of course makes me smile. Granddad has the perfect greatgrandson with the most perfect story to live out his legacy. I love and miss your sweet Granddad. WALKER... I love that it's "country" as you say. Also reminds me of not only of how he has been walking early :), but will always be walking with the Lord with you guys as his example. WAY... meaning he is TOTALLY yours, meant to be with your family from the beginning.
Thanks for sharing him with "us." You know that I claim him as mine!! :) (as does my whole family, including Marcia and Julie!) Love the three of you so much!
Great story. Fun to relive it. Precious boy. Can't believe he's one already!
Post a Comment